Have you ever looked down in the base of your computer cooler? They aren’t always clean and shining. So in this tutorial DIY, I decided to explain how to make them look like a mirror, helping to down your computer temperature. Using some basic material that almost everyone have at home and with some simple steps your cooler will get better then new! Hope you enjoy! 🙂
- 2 Sand Paper 500
- 2 Sand Paper 600
- 2 Sand Paper 1200
- Polishing Oil for Metal (For example Brasso Brass Polish)
- Clean cloth
- The principles of the cooler is to cold some heat source, for example an computer processor, it can be used on ChipSet’s, VGA chips, Northbridge, Southbridge or even in RAM memories. All those chips are cooled in many different ways, with FANs (most common ones), using water (water cooling) of just the metal par of the cooler, using the internal air to do it.
- Many people ask why lapping, and if it helps in any way. The main reason for lapping is to maximize the contact area between the cooler and the processor (for example). Usually coolers already comes with flash base, but they’re not always well polished, and this way, having a worst contact with the heat nucleus. So the finality of lapping is to make the surface of the cooler better polished, without fictions nor imperfections.
- The best combination for better performance is having your cooler lapped and a good thermal paste. It can lower your computer temperature and make it last long!
- This tutorial you can use in normal Air Coolers, without fan coolers and even in WaterBlocks. This isn’t a hard job, but it may take some time to do it, and if you don’t want to do all steps, it may work as well!
- I’ll explain how to make a cooler lapping with stuff you find at home, without any professional equipment. This way anyone can do it. In this tutorial, I’m using a WBK 38 cooler from Globalwin.
Now you’ll need some items like sandpaper (400,600, 1200), metal polish oil, toothpaste (normal white), cloth (more than one) and alcohol (For cleaning)
Take the sand paper and fix over the glass using some tape. In this case I used the bathroom, because there is a very plan.
Lets start lapping using a 400 sandpaper, with it we can take some irregularities off. I advise you to fix the sandpaper using some tape, so its easy to handle.
Use water over the sandpaper and making circular movements rub the cooler over the paper, applying the same weight(not much, it may ruin the paper) so it gets equally flat.
The base must get homogeneous, it will look very scratched.
Do all again, but this time withe the sandpaper 600. And then after with the 1200 sandpaper, but this time keep doing longer, for 8-12 minutes. Wont be so scratched out anymore.
Now to finish this process, put over the cloth some white toothpaste, because they aren’t abrasives, and that helps with lapping. Do it for 15 minutes, and remember to use alot of force and make circular movements.
To finish our lapping process, take the cloth and put some metal polish oil and rub quite alot, for around 15 minutes, always with circular movements. The cloth will get quite dark. In the end it will be almost like a mirror, just needing some final touch.
The last step is to make it look lika a mirror. So you need to get another clean and dry cloth and put more polish oil, repit the last process for around 10 minutes, and then 10 minutes more. This should be the last process for lapping. The base shound look like a mirror, but it may still have some few small scratches, but those are insignificant. Usually it happens when something gets between the sandpaper and the cooler.
Now the cooler base should be perfectly mirrored. Just some cleaning now would be nice. Using another clean cloth and alchool.
In the end, the result if amazing, the base is like a mirror.
Some images of the work done:
I’m not sure if I was clear enought in this tutorial, maybe sometime I take a look and rewrite if needed!!
Hope you liked and anything just leave a comment!!
Thanks for reading… And take a good look in our sponsors!! 🙂